Noquemanon Sponsors

Wax Recommendation: NOQUEMANON SKI MARATHON

Courtesy of DownWind Sports Marquette:
Air Temp: High of 27f Expected
Snow Temp : 23f Expected

Glide Wax:
1 Layer of TOKO NF BLACK – Scrape & Brush
1 Layer of TOKO HF RED – Scrape & Brush
Overlay Jetstream RED AND BRUSH
Structure= RED TOKO

Grip Wax:
TOKO BASE GREEN (IRON IN)
TOKO RED GRIP

Budget:
Glide Wax:
TOKO LF RED or LF 6 SWIX

Start Wax Report

  • Saturday, January 28, 2017
  • 9:00am 10:00am

START Racing Service staff will be on-hand at the expo on Friday evening with the latest details and information. Stop by to pick up your last-minute wax needs. Preceding Weather. Highs in the upper 20s, lows around 20F, with a less than 3 inches of new snow predicted. Race Day Weather. Start time temp should be around 20F and topping out around 27F by the afternoon. The current forecast is a for light snow during the race and the humidity will be high (80%+).

Snow Conditions. Expect highly-transformed granular snow mixed with some newer snow.

Notes on Recommendations:

We are currently recommending slightly different products for the long race and half (and short) races for 2 reasons. 1) The amount of old snow on the course is likely to be quite abrasive and 2) The half-distance race starts later and the temps will be warmer.

Glide Wax.

Base Wax. Start BM6 Green, Start LF10 Green or Start SGG Graphite

Race Wax.

50k Skiers. Start FHF6 Blue, HF8 Blue or MF8 Blue

25k Skiers. Start FHF4 Violet, HF6 Violet or MF6 Violet

Fluoro: Start SFR60 purple powder. SFR99 block would be a great economic option.

Top Coat. Start FHF11 block. SFR300 liquid would be a great economic option.

Kick Wax

Base Wax. Start Base Wax Extra, thin and ironed. (Start Violet Klister could be the choice if less

snow falls than is forecast)

Main Wax. Start FHF Blue or RF Blue. Try Start FHF Red or RF Red if more kick is needed. (Start Uni Wide Klister could be the choice if less snow falls than is forecast). Start Synthetic Blue, Synthetic Purple, Terva Blue and Terva Red could all be in the mixed depending on what the weather does in the next 3 days.

Skin Skis

Wipe skin with Fiberlene to clean most of the dirt. Apply Start Skin Grip and wipe clean with Fiberlene. Repeat until Fiberlene shows no more dirt.

Spray Start Fluoro Skin Grip on the skin.  This should be done on race morning.

For maximum speed, apply Start SFR300 liquid to skin about 15 minutes before the race start.

 

TOKO WAX RECOMMENDATION (1/26/17)
Created by Michael Young, Toko Tech Team member since 2005

Courses adjusted due to low snow conditions in MQT Saturday, January 28 9 A.M. 31K Classic, 9:55 A.M. 31K Skate 11:45 A.M. 23K Classic, 12:30 P.M. 23K Skate 10 minute wave starts

Forecast/Conditions: Friday night a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 20. Saturday a 60 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a race temperature steady near 22. Expect the course to be old, highly transformed, refrozen snow mixed with fresh powder.

Glidewax: Apply LF Black, scrape and brush, then apply HF Blue/HF Red mixed 1/1, scrape and brush. HF Blue is added to combat dirt and ice. Finish by crayoning JetStream Red, iron hot (320F) with a layer of fiberlene under the iron, traveling slowly (60 seconds) tip to tail. Brush with a dedicated nylon polishing brush and polish with a thermopad.

Gripwax: Roughen base with 150 grit sandpaper, apply a thin layer of Base Klister Green, heat, cork smooth, let cool. Then apply a thin layer of Nordic Klister Blue, heat, cork smooth, and freeze. Finally apply 1 layer of Nordic GripWax Red and lightly cork smooth until no shiny patches of klister remain visible.

Structure: A universal grind covered by one pass with the Red Structurite tool before JetStream application will best suit these conditions.
Check the Wax Tips page at TokoUS.com before all of your races for the latest waxing information. The Toko Race Wax Tips offer racers precise waxing advice on how to make your skis perform optimally for a given event. For racers who don’t have top end waxes, skip the Fluorocarbon (JetStream) and substitute the LF or NF wax of the same color (Yellow, Red or Blue). To see optimal application procedures for both Glidewax and Gripwax, go to the How To link at TokoUS.com.


Fast Wax Reccomndations (1/26/17)
Friday
A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Friday Night A 40 percent chance of snow showers after 8pm. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Saturday Snow showers likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 28.

Updated Thursday “Grip Wax”
Tested grip waxes at Ironwood ABR Trails, some new snow temp at 28 F, The trails had a combination of some new snow covering an icy base  resulting in some glazing of the trail mixed with new snow. For this combination the best test waxes were either the Rex TK1814 or the Start Oslo Violet covered with Rode Top Line VXPS, Test skis were Fisher Cold and Rossi C1, the combination of the TK1814 with Rode Top Line VXPS were faster with better kick could have been the skis. I will retest the skis at the Forestville Trail Head on Friday and report an update at the EXPO, conditions should be very similar.
Weather Report NOAA

Race Course……Check Skinny Ski Racing Outlook for updates
Both the long and short race  are shortened
Grip wax update will depend on new snow, final call will be at the Expo after Friday testing

Glide Wax:
Base Layer 1 to 2 Layers HSLF 20 Blue
Top Layer 1 to 2 layers HSF 20 Tan
Top coat Flite Cold
Iron in with the Base Saver
Lower Cost Top Coat Option
Race Pro Cold Iron in with the Base Saver

Glide Wax Lower Cost Option
Base Layer 1 to 2 Layers HS 20 Blue
Top Layer 1 to 2 layers HSLF 20 Blue
Optional Top Coat – Highly Recommended
Race Pro Cold  Iron in with the Base Saver

Grip Wax Options:
Iron in Rode Binder cork in and let cool
2nd to the last layer Rex TX1814 for Glazed Trail

Then add 1 to 2 thin layers of Rode Top Line VXPS
Also consider Rode Top Line VO
2nd Option
Iron in Rex Orange Binder cork in and let cool
2nd to the last layer Start Oslo Violet for Glazed Trail
Then add 1 to 2 thin layers of Rode Top Line VXPS
Also consider Rode Top Line VO

Ski Flex and Structure
Moderate Soft Track Ski with a Liner Universal Grind/Structure
Finite Structure Tool Light Broken Pattern 0.3 mm

 
Sign up to receive our newsletter and morning trail reports.
Jump to Section